Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I Feel a Threat Coming On...or maybe a Prayer


I am having a very hard time waiting for this plant to bloom. It is a Moon Flower Vine. It is part of my only white plantings this year.
While I've not grown this plant in my garden before, I have seen them in other people's gardens, and I sell tons at the market. It gets a huge white bloom about 6"-8" across. It is fragrant. I know it to be a great flower, and I want to experience its greatness.

So far I am not.

I didn't realize it would be this late in the season and it would still be bloomless. Lacking. Scant. Barren. Without. Devoid. Less than endowed. (you get the picture)
I feel a threat coming on...not yet tho...maybe give it another 2 weeks...before I yell at it. In the meantime I will be complimentary of its growth (it is growing everyday). I will continue to train its vines and tendrils along the fence (as I have been doing every other day). I will give it a shot of fertilizer (for a 2nd time). I will say a little prayer to St. Fiacre (the Patron Saint of gardeners) to help along in the quest for some moon flower action. (and my Mom would love the fact that I asked a Saint's help...I love you Mom!)

So let's not waste time...
"Dear Saint Fiacre, Patron Saint of Gardener's (and Taxi's) it's me, Chitweed. Please help my little Moon Flower to get over its blooming issues. (You might take a gander at the variegated Hydrangea while your at it.) Thanx. "

Hey, I'm a good gardener...not-so-good a pray-er...but why not hone both skills?

6 comments:

kris said...

I can't wait to see this when it blooms (and how could it not after all that?!) - the leaves look huge - how long does the vine get?

Anonymous said...

We'll all be waiting with you in anticipation of those blooms!

O.I.M said...

hang in there chitweed. I'm sure it will be worth the wait. your hydrangeas are great.
Irena

Laurie and Chris said...

I hope your prayer works:) It sure looks like it is healthy.

Gretel said...

Hope someone up there is listening, I'd love to see this!

Anonymous said...

You are lucky to be able to garden and work and garden at home!
Very nice blog.